Frequently Asked Questions
What is Health Information Exchange?
Health Information Exchange (HIE) is the secure, electronic exchange of health information among authorized stakeholders in the health care community – such as health care providers and public health agencies – to drive timely, efficient and patient-centered care. This exchange of health care information improves patient care, patient transition coordination and reduces costs by enabling collaboration and lowering provider and staff administrative burden.
What does Reliance do?
Reliance allows you and other participating providers to electronically send and receive patient health information in real time to other health care providers, such as other physicians, hospitals, labs, etc. Reliance allows you to maximize your electronic health record (EHR) system by giving you automated referrals management, secure messaging capability using “Direct Secure Messaging” And the Reliance Community Health Record.
Who is involved in exchanging data through Reliance?
View the list of organizations currently connected via Reliance.
How did Reliance start?
Reliance (formerly Jefferson Health Information Exchange) began in 2011 as a community collaboration of interested health care providers, hospitals, public health agencies, clinics and others interested in improving the cost, quality and efficiency of health care in Southern Oregon. The group was facilitated by the Jefferson Regional Health Alliance. Between 2011 and 2013, Reliance conducted research into the climate and benefits of HIE for the community, underwent a strategic planning process, including environmental analysis, formed a governance structure and finance and sustainability model, developed an implementation plan and went live. Since that time the services and geography of Reliance has expanded.
How much will it cost you to join Reliance?
Many of Reliance’s services are offered at no cost to providers including access to the Community Health Record. Contact us at at 1-855-290-5443 or email Support@RelianceHIE.org for more information on our services and how to enroll.
How does Reliance optimize the patients’ quality of care?
Collaborative, patient-centered care is at the core of Reliance. Reliance improves care by empowering more efficient use of information, giving you the ability to:
- Search, view and download patient information from multiple data sources in one easy-to-access location.
- Improve transition and coordination of care by streamlining your practice’s workflow.
- Save time and costs through eliminating duplicate testing.
- Increase privacy and security of patient health information by electronically allowing providers to directly send and receive patient health information to each other.
- Secure your patients’ records, even when natural disaster strikes and paper records are lost.
How does Reliance keep patient health information safe?
Patient privacy and security is a top priority of Reliance. Reliance’s state-of-the art technology is designed to meet all Oregon state and federal laws regarding the protection of patient health information, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- When exchanging patient referrals and Direct Messages, Reliance’s secure and encrypted system prevents the unauthorized use or disclosure of health information and protects organizations from data breaches.
- Reliance’s user authentication establishes accountability and rules for access to ensure only authorized providers are sending and receiving a patient’s health information.
Who can see your patients’ health information?
Only authorized Reliance health care providers and their staff with a clinical need-to-know can view, send or receive information. Authorized (role based) Reliance users are able to search for patient information in Reliance. The ability to view patient information is based on a clinical provider-patient relationship and the user’s job function.